Senior Manager, Legal & Compliance (General Counsel)
Location: Canberra, Australian Capital Territory AU
Job Number: 1096
Your new company
Located in a contemporary office in Canberra CBD, Commonwealth Superannuation Corporation (CSC) provides superannuation services and products to Australian Government employees and members of the Australian Defence Force. We are committed to making super personal and guiding you to make the right choices to reach your retirement dreams. CSC search the globe for investment opportunities to grow your savings. We are proud to wear the Australian government crest, and proud to serve those who serve our country.
Your new role
Working closely with, and reporting to the General Counsel, the Senior Manager, Legal & Compliance is responsible for managing a team of legal professionals to ensure that CSC's operations are conducted within the law and that its rights, reputation and licences are protected through the provision of timely, commercial and persuasive legal counsel and guidance.
You will lead and support the legal and compliance teams to provide strategic and practical advice to ensure CSC’s obligations as a regulated superannuation trustee and AFSL holder are met, and team members are developing skills, expertise, and capability.
In this role you will apply broad legal knowledge and management acumen to lead the legal and compliance functions and assist the business manage compliance and other risks through practical advice on the application of legal and regulatory requirements.
You will provide timely, commercial and persuasive legal counsel and guidance to CSC in relation to the administration of CSC’s schemes. You will also provide advice and make decisions (with delegation) on legal claims for compensation. You will also oversee the conduct of external dispute resolution matters.
In this role you will ensure new and emerging legal and regulatory issues are identified and ensure CSC is informed of new or proposed legislation or regulatory change which may affect its activities.
You will manage CSC’s second line compliance processes, including advising on remediation and compliance obligations, as well as monitoring compliance across CSC and its service providers.
What you’ll need to excel
- Degree in law, with 10+ years’ post admission experience.
- Experience in people management to demonstrably provide effective leadership of a driven and engaged team (13 direct reports).
- Ability to manage up, providing timely, concise, and proactive support to the General Counsel.
- Highly developed verbal, written, negotiation, presentation and persuasion skills.
- Ability to build and maintain effective stakeholder relationships.
- Highly developed analytical, problem solving and critical thinking skills.
- An understanding of the financial services industry and knowledge of industry and commercial trends is desirable.
What you’ll get in return
- Permanent position with a competitive remuneration package and potential to earn annual bonus.
- Become an integral part of a professional and driven leadership team.
- Opportunity to do interesting and diverse work with exposure to a variety of legal practice areas, including admin law, dispute resolution, commercial and financial services sector.
- Fantastic team culture, including access to flexible working hours and work life balance.
What you will need to apply
Please click to ‘apply’ and upload one document that includes your current resume and a one page cover letter with an overview of your relevant skills and experience, outlining how they align to the role’s key responsibilities as described.
Applications close: 5pm, Friday 24th January 2020.
Job Number: 1096
Community / Marketing Title: Senior Manager, Legal & Compliance (General Counsel)
Location_formattedLocationLong: Canberra, Australian Capital Territory AU