Manager - Legal
Location: Canberra, Australian Capital Territory AU
Job Number: 1165
Your new company
Located in a contemporary office in Canberra CBD, Commonwealth Superannuation Corporation (CSC) provides superannuation services and products to Australian Government employees and members of the Australian Defence Force. We are committed to making super personal and guiding our members to make the right choices to reach their retirement dreams. We are proud to wear the Australian government crest, and proud to serve those who serve our country.
Your new role
The Manager, Legal will manage the provision of CSC’s day to day internal legal services in support of CSC’s business across its trustee and scheme functions. You will manage a team of professionals to deliver dispute resolution services (both internal and external) and legal advisory services to CSC, whether internally or externally sourced. You will also work proactively with colleagues in the General Counsel team and CSC to address legal matters in a way that meets CSC’s broader business objectives.
In this role you will apply broad legal knowledge and management acumen to lead the legal team and assist the business to manage external dispute resolution matters and legal claims for compensation. You will also provide timely, commercial and persuasive legal counsel and guidance to CSC in relation to the administration of CSC’s schemes, and monitor and advise CSC’s operational areas on legislative changes that impact CSC’s schemes.
What you’ll need to excel
- Degree in law, with 7+ years’ post admission experience.
- Strong experience in people management that demonstrates your ability to lead a high-performing, driven and engaged team (4 direct reports; 6 team members).
- Ability to manage up, providing timely, concise, and proactive support to the Senior Manager, Legal & Compliance.
- Highly developed verbal, written, negotiation, presentation and persuasion skills.
- Ability to build and maintain effective stakeholder relationships.
- Highly developed analytical, problem solving and critical thinking skills.
- An understanding of financial services industry dispute resolution is desirable.
What you’ll get in return
- Permanent position with a competitive remuneration package and potential to earn an annual bonus.
- Opportunity to do interesting work with exposure to a variety of legal practice areas, including admin law, dispute resolution, and financial services sector law.
- Fantastic team culture, including access to flexible working hours and work life balance.
- The opportunity to work for a trustee of multiple diverse superannuation schemes that is also a corporate Commonwealth entity (CSC is a CCE but is not part of the APS).
What you will need to apply
Please click to ‘apply’ and upload one document that includes your current resume and a one page cover letter with an overview of your relevant skills and experience, outlining how they align to the role’s key responsibilities as described.
Please note: the brief one page statement should outlines your suitability for the role as described and also the reasons why you would like to be appointed to this position.
Applications close: 5pm (AEDT), Thursday the 11th June 2020.
Job Number: 1165
Community / Marketing Title: Manager - Legal
Location_formattedLocationLong: Canberra, Australian Capital Territory AU